Thursday, October 11, 2012

PRP S5 "Fall" Holidays

First up I would like to say that this seems a somewhat unfair theme for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere for 2 reasons.
1. Fall/Autumn is 6 months away, we are currently in Spring and my kids will out grow any clothes I would make them for next Fall :)
2. The only Fall/Autumn Holiday we have is Easter!

Now that I have my rant out of the way lets get on with it.
The only holiday I felt like my project would fit with is maybe a Halloween Costume.
Something we don't really celebrate in Australia much but we definitely don't do Thanksgiving so here goes.

The ballet school my children go to are preparing for their end of year concerts and I got the chance to make some of the costumes.

One of the dances has a "Toy Sop" theme.
Here is my "Living Doll" and "Toy Soldier"

This is a photoshopped photo
The background is a shop in Melbourne called



Here is my Living Doll

The dress is made from this pattern

Girl's Dress sewing tutorial PDF kid's clothing PDF Bowtie Halter dress



The wig was my own design but inspired by this tutorial 


1

but mine goes all the way around the girls heads.

Now for my Toy Soldier



I made the pants by modifying this pattern



The coat was modified from this pattern

Image of Olivia and Oliver Pea Coat: Sizes 3 mos.-8 years

The ruffle sleeved shirt I have to give credit to my mother for she made it for my brother 25years ago when he played Franz in "The Nutcracker". It did need a little mending but I think its amazing it has survived so long.



And so there we have it Fall/Halloween/Ballet Costumes
Here are the original photos of my models without photoshop


It would seem I getting a name for myself, the school has now asked me to do a few more costumes.
I get to do 
3 monkeys
13 - Tutus (well I'm only plating them)
and
some ruffles

Life is good, see you next week :D

Update: I was just looking at these pictures and realised you can't actually tell that Jack's costume has tails so here is a picture where you can

4 comments:

  1. I found the fall holiday challenge to be a tough one, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great costumes - they made me think of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang', but I now see how perfectly they fit the dance numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing!!! How cute!!!

    ReplyDelete